- Software Workshops
- Statistical Workshops
- Upcoming Events
- UK Methods Courses
Experiments in the Social Sciences
QIPSR is pleased to announce, “Experiments in the Social Sciences,” workshops on February 4th and 5th, co-sponsored with the Department of Sociology. Two esteemed Professors of Sociology, Murray Webster (UNC, Charlotte), and Jane Sell (Texas A&M), will give a series of workshops on writing NSF grant proposals and using experiments in the social sciences.
Murray Webster specializes in Mathematical Sociology, Quantitative Methods, Social Psychology, and Social Theory. He is the 2015 winner of the Cooley-Mead Award from the American Sociological Association’s Social Psychology Section, awarded annually for lifetime contributions to distinguished scholarship in sociological social psychology. Dr. Webster has also served as the program director for the National Science Foundation’s sociology program, and has served on numerous NSF review panels.
Jane Sell specializes in experimental studies of small group dynamics, especially those affecting cooperation. She has been a particularly effective proponent of developing a social psychology lab on a shoestring. Her lab at TAMU developed an innovative iPhone app for public goods and resource goods experiments that is affordable, portable and creates new design possibilities. Dr. Sell has also served on numerous NSF review panels.
Thursday, February 4th
- 10:00 am to 11:00 am: Coffee & Snacks with graduate students interested in NSF doctoral dissertation improvement grants in social science disciplines in 1545 Patterson Office Tower
- 11:15 am to 12:30 pm: NSF grant proposals for young investigators in the social science in 1545 Patterson Office Tower
- 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm: Individual meetings with grad students and faculty in POT 145
Friday, February 5th
- 10:00 am to 12:00 noon: “Experiments in the Social Sciences: Applications and Misapplications” in the Marksbury Building Theater
- 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm: Individual meetings with grad students and faculty in CB 245